Today it will be difficult to find someone without a mobile, once upon a time the land line was the undisputed king and the Telephone Directory was an important part of any office. The importance of the person lay in the fact of his being listed in the Telephone Directory, having a personal line at home was an achievement Communication what we see today was unimaginable ..certainly rapid strides to say the least. think of It was somewhere in the better part of the nineties. There was no telephone line at home, the only contact number was the office line, and letter writing a very important part of life.
As I was not feeling well i had not gone to office and was confined to the bed..i really do not find a proper answer to what happened in that night, there was a knock on the door and as I opened the door I saw my grandmother her frail bent self standing there, the first thought that struck me was how at her age did she manage to climb the flight of steps, I was living on the second floor, 'Muthachi' I said as i overcome with happiness,spontaneously lifted her and took her into the house. Only to be awakened from sleep.
The next day an office colleague Ramesh came home , to say that there was a phone from Kerala to say that my grandmother had passed away, that was when everything fell in place her image as she stood there was all that was in my mind and my hair stood on end, what was it that made me see her so vividly to think about it my grandmother in all years did not go from the district she was born, and even if she had to go to meet a relative or to the vadakot temple which they went every year was by walking. Such a person crossed districts and a state to come and meet me in Madras, which is something which till today defies any logic.
There was no way I could miss the trip to Kerala. I t was raining heavily there, wherever there was road and field was filled with water and one or two boats were there, a sight I have not seen their till today kept the luggage in boat, and held hands with my wife and walked in thigh deep water to reach my ancestral home to pay respects to the departed soul.
I have vacated from that house in Madras but then that image and the thought that she had come to me ,is still fresh with a lot of memories of her but i still wonder what was it that made her come to me that Night, she never expressed herself much , but whenever i went to Kerala there was geniuine happiness in her, though there are photos of her in my album. there is no framed photo of hers adorning the wall in my ancestral house or in her son's house.Actually does it really matter ?
No comments:
Post a Comment